Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Monday, February 27, 2017

voice recording Feb 27, part 2

Good Morning and happy pancake Monday again!  You’ve reached Elder Berrett!
(gas stove clicking)  There we go. You’ve reached Elder Berrett, the best radio station in all of East Helena.  Only on Monday mornings.  From like 8-9. Maybe. 

Alright, it’s time to make… I’m thinking of putting in just a little more water actually.  Which I’ve heard makes it a lot, this kind of goes against everything I believe in, because clumps are good, when you make pancake mix or just about anything, but hey.  There we go.  Little more… Fluidy? Fluid. I don’t need to add a y to that. Come on Elder Berrett. Grammar up. 

Oh my goodness!  So I was up here making some chili mac for dinner yesterday, and brother Welch was watching TV and of course I’m overhearing it, it was, I mean don’t worry, it was one of those shows about hunting for sasquatch. He was more watching it like “What the heck is this?”, and I was laughing hysterically, because it was so bad, it was a trainwreck that you couldn’t take your eyes off of, and oh my goodness. I think my favorite was, they were in this small town, I think called Whitehall, not the Whitehall that’s right next to me.  I was talking to Brother Welsh about it, and we were both just dying of laughter at this one part, and that’s when I went home.  I mean I only heard 3 or 4 minutes of it. No, probably more like, let’s see I’m standing here at the stove making the mac and cheese, listening to it in the other room, probably 8, 8-10 minutes…

Oh wow.  They’re hot! Oh, perfect, where’s a plate? Pancakes are all bubbly and I just flipped it and it looks amazing. Granted, it’s sitting in butter. Sister Wadsworth would kill me if she saw this. My heart’s going to kill me. And I will end up like poor Elder Hatch.

Anyways, Oh yeah! So, I mean obviously I couldn’t see what was going on, but for some reason they are talking about a law I think that was made? About not killing sasquatches in the area, that a police officer made.  He’s like “You know, sasquatches, they got families, they are living, breathing, caring creatures. And well, man, you just gotta respect a ‘squatch!” And oh, brother welsh and I were dying.  I just busted up laughing when I heard that. Respect the Squatch. That’s right people.  I’ll start a campaign.  I’m sure Ryanne will jump in on that.  I wonder if she still has those sasquatch slippers.  Oh! Is she gonna marry that guy? Last I heard she met some boy and was completely crazy over him. I was thinking of her the other day when we were driving and I saw a Biola bumper sticker. I’m like “Oh! Hey!  I have a friend that goes there!” 

Oh, I don’t know if you’ve heard, so when I was on exchanges in Billings, I ran into Pieter!  Like, craziest thing ever. I was with Elder Pett and we were talking with him for a little bit. I didn’t waste too much time, but I mean, I kinda had to talk to him! Super cool, he’s been doing great.  He’s working, he came up here to go to MSU, he isn’t going any more, apparently there is a, his dad was working at the college and uh, as an accountant and he got fired because he found some numbers he shouldn’t have found. So Pieter doesn’t go there any more.  He’s right now working as an A/C heater repairman, and is thinking about moving back to Arizona and going to ASU.  He was talking about getting a scholarship there. He’s like, “Yeah,  I will probably be going back in the fall or spring.” I’m like “Hey!  I’ll be going back in the fall!” 

I talked about home in this voicemail a lot, I’m going to stop. I promise I don’t think, (sigh) it’s literally only on Mondays. Seeing Pieter was a little hard, I did get a little homesick then, but that was like a week and a half, two weeks ago.

Let me think, we’ve been able to do some really cool work, we got a new stake presidency and had a priesthood conference last night.  There’s this family we’ve been working with,  trying so hard to get them to come, aaagh!  He’s a less active member, she’s not a member, but she’s practically a member, she’s just on parole and can’t be baptized yet.  Oh my goodness, she is so prepared, so ready, he’s still less active, knows it’s true, believes it’s true, but just has a hard time getting out of bed.  And so he was out and about and we were trying so hard to get him to come to the meeting last night and I don’t think he went, but it was super powerful.  Our new stake presidency all spoke to the priesthood, oh my goodness, great, great wonderful talks.

Oh, that flip was kinda crappy.  I’m getting better at making these pancakes.  Oh, I’m gonna need to make more mix.  How much mix do I have? Ohhhh, I only have like a cup left.  Good thing today is Monday!  Good thing I’ve still got 30 bucks on the card and we get more money tomorrow. 
It’s kindof interesting serving out here in East Helena.  It’s like 15 minutes to drive into town.  Like we kinda live in a big little city. Or a big little town.  It’s like someone took Greybull and made it like 5 times the size and really spread out. And then put it right on the outskirts of like, well, Helena Montana.  I was gonna say Cody Wyoming, but then I’m like, no, Helena is way bigger than Cody.   Cody’s got A Walmart.  Helena’s got Costco, and Walmart and they’re getting a winco and I mean any big store you can think of they got it.  Except for Scheels.  Can’t get any tape here.

Man.  I can’t believe Elder Hatch is going home. That really breaks my heart.  At least he’ll get to talk to Nina now.  There was a… Nina’s ex husband talked to President and said that Elder Hatch was flirting with her and doing other things when he wasn’t, and he wasn’t allowed to talk to her the rest of his mission.  I mean President knew, but when there is an accusation like that made, you kinda gotta be a missionary and respect that.

I don’t know if, did you ever hear when I was in Butte, there was a girl that was saying that me and my companion were going into her house and like trying to do things to her when she was alone?  Oh, That was an annoying headache to deal with. I mean it was pretty easy, like she admitted that she was lying. We had never been inside her house, like it wasn’t that much of a concern. When we heard about it, we quickly emailed president and he was like, “yeah, just don’t go back there.” There was a less active that lived at her house.  The sisters were teaching her, and a less active in our ward lived there and so we were contacting him. Not knowing that she lived there as well and, I don’t know.  Butte people are weird. It’s Butte.  Good ol’ Butte Montana just passin’ through.♫♪  That’s like the only phrase of that song I know. (no idea what song he’s talking about) Brother Cheatham was always singing it. 

Ah! Ah! No-no-no-no!  Oh Gosh Darnit!! So I started to flip this pancake, missed, like, flipped like half of it, so now it’s like, an omelet. (Sigh) I’ll take that pancake, I won’t make Elder Shumway eat that.  Better start making more mix.  I’ve got five pancakes made, 1-2-3, yeah… Oh yeah, this one is… I wonder if I can break it in half because it’s too thick to cook in the middle. Oh and yeah, there we go, now it actually looks kinda normal once I do that. I mean it was just folded over perfectly in the middle.  Only problem with flipping it multiple times is it loses its fluffiness.  I wonder what the science is behind that.  Tell me in the comments below! Make sure to like and subscribe! Christopher.
Oh, I love that kid. How’s he doing?  Is he still on his wanting to be a big youtuber, I can’t imagine that he wouldn’t not be, he’s Christopher.  When he gets something in his mind he goes for it for I feel like at least half a year. 

I think I’m only going to make one or two more pancakes, that should be enough mix. Oh my goodness, I feel like this is way more messy than it normally is.  Oh, crap, how long is this recording?  Oh good, only 11 minutes. I think gmail won’t let me send anything over like, I don’t know, I think 20 minutes is the max but I don’t even want to go close to that.  Let me think… I added too much water, so now I gotta add more flour. I wonder if Alton Brown has anything to say about making pancakes.  I can’t remember what I was making, I think it was just eggs, with Brother Cheatham and he goes “so I was watching the cooking channel the other day, and there’s this really great show, Alton Brown, I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of him, but…”  and he starts going off on some of the science he heard.  And I’m all “Oh I’m very familiar with Alton Brown.   I know the very episode you’re watching.  It’s the mac and cheese one.” Oh, I love brother Cheatham so much. 
Plot twist- maybe… no. I’m not even going to think about that, I’m in my own area.  It’s a good area. I was gonna say “Plot twist – maybe I’ll get sent back to Wyoming.”  But I’m like, in all reality, if I was to go anywhere in Wyoming, it would be the other zone.  I’ve served all over Wyoming-West.  Either on exchanges, or I mean I’ve been inside every single building in all three stakes. I mean I haven’t attended every ward, but…

Oh crap. There we go.  Pancakes are cooking.  Oh yeah so everything had just melted. It was perfect.  Things were starting to get a little green again, and we just got like, I don’t know, three inches last night.  It just dumped. On the bright side, I might make my first snow man. That I can recall.  I think I made some in West Valley when I was a toddler, but I think I’m going to make my first snowman today.   I don’t know if it’s wet enough though, that’s the problem.  I think it’s all fairly powdery. If I just throw a bunch of water in the mix will it work? (laughs) Is it like pancake mix? (laughs)  I’ll make pancakes.

How’s Madison doing? She’s got her big trip coming up soon.  (thunk) Ow! That’s a counter.  I just kicked a counter. She’s got to be really looking forward to that because that sounds like a really fun trip. I don’t even know what to think of that pancake, it’s like, peach colored.  What? I clearly didn’t cook it very long, the bubbles are starting to pop.

So, my flash drive is still in Powell. With all my music and stuff on it. I was gonna get it at the last MLC but, they had it in their car, but forgot to get it to me. So I’ll be getting it this MLC, thank goodness I had my other flash drive on me with all my pictures.  Anyways, we’ve been listening to all of the youth music because we need a change of music because we’ve been listening to Elder Shumway’s flash drive and he has like several albums of music on there, but it’s just like, you’ve just listened to it all.  Lots of times. I can now quote Prince of Egypt word for word.  At least of the music, I don’t know any of the non-music parts, because we don’t have access to those.

I hope this pancake is okay, yeah it looks cooked in the middle. How long is this recording?  Sixteen minutes?  I think I’m going to stop this one.  Alright, I love you guys and hope you have a most wonderful day.  May the Lord bless you and keep you.

The cathedral was awesome yesterday (last week) , I’m sorry if you didn’t get any pictures of it. I totally had my camera ready, I got pictures of the outside, and I was getting ready to take pictures inside, Elder Rickenbacker reminded me that in the missionary handbook it says not to take photos of sacred objects or religious things of other churches.  And I went, “oh, that’s right…” We all felt comfortable and felt like it was ok to get a picture of the outside, but to go in someone else’s church and take lots of pictures while, yeah.  It’s an actual cathedral, apparently what makes it a cathedral at least as far as my limited catholic knowledge goes and from what I read is the fact that it’s a Bishop’s chair in it.  And that’s what I know about Catholics. Well, being around Elder hatch I feel like I’ve learned a bit, because he considers himself ½ catholic.

Elder Shumway, the pancakes are just about ready.  (Elder Shumway – “Sweet”) How’s your workout? (elder Shumway –“ good”) Good.  Elder Shumway here goes above and beyond the call. He decides to workout as well Monday mornings, I just kinda workout when we do sports.  He’s like, “No! I’ve got my set routine! I’m gonna do it!” And I go “Go you, son! Woo!” So he had a scholarship to U of A, but then he went on a mission instead, and so he’s trying to be able to walk on the team, is his plan, and he’s a stud.  I respect Elder Shumway a lot.

(banging noises) I don’t know what I’m doing.  Singing ♪♫“And I’m proud to be an American…”♫♪ I think today I’m going to buy a couple three boxes of macaroni and cheese, no, we’re getting fed enough this week I don’t need to spend, nah I don’t need to buy them.


Wait I really need to send this off!  It’s 19 minutes!  19:07, 19:08… I love you!  Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment