Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Monday, February 6, 2017

Post Pancakes

Well Good mornin’ to yeh.  (In what sounds like an Irish accent) That was me attempting to do a really terrible Scottish accent.  That was really bad.

So mom, just thought I’d check in, the pancakes were pretty good.  It does feel like I’m eating sugar by the spoonful, and so I don’t know how I feel about that, especially since I literally just talked about how I’ve lost some weight and how I was really excited about that. Ok, this one’s a lot better, I think the last one wasn’t cooked too well.  This one everything is cooked in it, it definitely tastes a lot better.

(Companion mumbles something)  (Nick responds to companion) - May the Lord Bless you and keep you.  Extra cool points if you can tell me where that song is from.

You know the other day you were telling me about Madison and Zach and all the things they are doing in school and everything and I just really think it’s so cool that I have siblings that are, not only just find out who they are, but I can relate to them more.  Zach, I can actually relate to him a little bit.  Well, we could always relate to some degree, but I just feel like we didn’t have a really close relationship back when I was home.  It’s something I’ve just always wanted to really develop more.  Cause I love that kid.  He’s an awesome brother.

Oh, so I’m still going back and forth on the decision to have dogs some day.  (Big sigh) I keep telling myself I’m not going to and then like I’d go visit the Cheatham’s, and oh, Vector, he’s just so adorable. And so nice, and never barks. Hypoallergenic, doesn’t shed.  They said it was the easiest dog to ever potty train.  But, I don’t know? I definitely don’t want a cat, that’s been decided already.  Cats hurt too much plus I sneeze too much and my eyes hurt too much.  Of course I keep talking about all of this like I get a say.  We’ll see what happens. 

We were listening to Hank Smith the other day and he brings up an interesting point that in his talk he’s talking about how him and his wife are fighting, and it “was one of our Grand Fights” he says.  We were fighting over a microwave.  We moved into this new house, and he starts getting out the microwave and his wife says “oh we’ll have to get a new microwave” and he says “Why? It works perfectly fine.” To which his wife replies, “Well it doesn’t match.” And he’s thinking Match? Like, it works, what do you mean it doesn’t match? And so she takes him around, very carefully, and starts showing off the appliances. She shows him the stove and says “What color is it?” And he says “Well it’s” oh crap, I can’t remember, it’s that nice like silvery color, stainless steel! “It’s stainless steel.” And she says very good, now what’s the dishwasher, and he says “Stainless steel” and she goes off and everything is stainless steel, and then she goes, “Now what color is the microwave?” and he says “White.” And she says “See? Now you understand why we have to get a different microwave.  And so he said they fought about this for awhile, and he said that microwave must have come in and out of the box 800 times.  He said he came home one day to find it duct taped in a box in the garage, and so he got it out, and used it.  But he said like all great arguments, she wanted a new microwave, I didn’t, so we compromised and we got a new microwave.  He then gave the example of, which is what got me on this tangent, of “My wife loves cats, I hate cats, so we compromised, and now we have three cats.” So, there’s that.

Oh, so we were in Boulder the other day, and while Boulder was wonderful, love it. Beautiful. The house we live in is beautiful.  The house we live in, the water pump or something is broken.  And so we only get maybe 3-5 minutes of water before we have to reset the system.  And so, in essence, we were camping for a couple of days.  Obviously we got enough to wash our hair, and quickly freshen up, but today, being able to take a nice, beautiful 10 minute shower, was just so wonderful.  I love that feeling. I was so, so happy.  Almost as happy as Toshi the dog that we live with who, (I’m definitely not going to get one like Toshi) but she’s been, apparently my watch has been reflecting light while I’ve been eating the pancakes,   and she’s been going berserk.  Just like trying to catch the light.  She looks so happy doing it. And that’s how I felt when I took a nice wonderful shower this morning.

Let me think, what else?  I’m getting a hair cut today, it’s going to be great. Hair is getting a little long.  Oh yeah, definitely getting a hair cut today.  At some point we’ve got to go put in Standards of Excellence and all the key indicator numbers.  Umm, I don’t know.  Today I think is going to be a relaxing day.  I don’t think we will be playing podball too much.  Sister Wadsworth says that if it starts to get competitive, then we were to all immediately stop playing, and take a break, and go do something relaxing to calm down.  Oh, bless her heart.  So, I don’t know how much of that we will be doing today.  Elder Shumway is a really sportsy guy so he’s a little saddened by that.  I’m totally fine going and finding something to do.

Oh! So, I think I’ll get your thoughts on this, cause I’m really excited.  But we got a call the other day, asking to help out on May 20th, which means I might not even be in Helena, that’s in 3 ½ months so if I stay, I think 2 more transfers, so I mean that would be 3 transfers in an area, that wouldn’t be too unbelievable.  That’s how long I was in both Greybull and Powell.  But they asked the missionaries, every year they’ve done this for the last 15 years, to help out at a race.  Some race for cancer, or something like that. And one of the options is to do a 3k. And I’m thinking that I might be able to do that.  If I work really, really hard, be very, very gentle with my knees, and get them up to maybe that par, I might be able to run again and do a 3k! I’m really, really hoping I can.  I’ve missed running so much.  I was talking to some people the other day…

Oh!  So one thing I’d like to look into, I’ve come up with so many things I want to look into after my mission, but I was talking to someone the other day and he’s someone who works in a control tower.  And he’s telling me about his job, and it just sounded really, really cool.  It’s something I might want to look into. I know I was, I don’t know, I’ve had a couple of different things, and I know I don’t need to worry about that right now, and I’m not, it’s just some random thoughts.  I remember being so dead set that I was going to find a way to make being a lighting designer work, but I think it will be a hobby.  I can’t really think of a way that that would work, I wouldn’t want to be away from my family.  I don’t want to do anything that takes me away from my family.  That is the one thing that I’ve learned.  The one thing I’m sure about.  And probably I don’t want to go into anything with English.  That’s one of the other things. (laughs) Or chemistry. English or Chemistry are the two things I don’t want to go into.  But yeah, that’s about it.

The pancakes were pretty good, the batch made five of them, I’ve eaten 3 and I’m stuffed. And my companion is stuffed, so I will find something to do with these two pancakes.  And I’ve got to clean up.  Man that’s definitely part of growing up, dishes don’t magically clean themselves. (laughs) Yeah.  Laundry doesn’t get folded. By itself.  Things I’m glad that you made us learn how to do, and do, but I definitely still took advantage of when I was living back home.  Buying soap.  I don’t even have to pay any taxes or any bills yet.  That’ll be fun.

But yeah, “Things are going good”. (laughs)

I hope you guys really enjoy these, I know you keep telling me that you do, and I enjoy making them for a little bit, and like come whatever minute I’m on right now, so I think I’m going to stop, at like minute 8, especially when I start running out of things to say, and I’m like rambling, I hope you find it okay.

But I love you guys a lot!  I hope you have a great day.  I hope to talk to you more. And I can’t wait to see all that’s in store for us this week.

Yeah! That’s about it, Love you guys, bye!  (whistling Star Wars as he finds the off button) 

No comments:

Post a Comment