Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Monday, March 6, 2017

Voice Recording 3/6/17 pt 1

Good morning mom! It’s me, Elder Berrett!  Happy sorta kinda maybe pancake Monday, even though there won’t be any pancakes made today. I think I have all the stuff to make the mix you sent me, and I’m really excited to try that out, but we’ll be having lots of pancakes Wednesday, and also, I don’t know, my stomach doesn’t feel right, so I don’t want to throw a bunch of sugar at it right now. Well, I say that and now I’m going to go eat a….So for breakfast today I’m making a bagel-egg sandwich, which is fine, but then I have a cinnamon sugar muffin that we’ll see how I feel after the eggs.

But I figure continue the tradition and at least make something today.  I’ve been feeling pretty good lately.  Really, really congested. Throat hasn’t been… I had a brief stint the other day where my throat was feeling really bad. I couldn’t really talk too much, but it wasn’t as bad as last week. So it’s been pretty good.  Still a little congested now if you can hear that.

So again Happy Monday.  How are you doing today? Because I am doing absolutely fantastic.  What all happened this week?  Let’s see, yeah, sent home a lot of the sisters I came out with. Saw sister Crosland, sister, no I didn’t see sister Hodgson, she came out with elder Hendricks so she went home last transfer.  Saw Sister Unatowa, Sister Wong, sister Fredrickson, she was in my MTC district, so was sister Wong…. Um, Elder Isley, also in our zone but didn’t come out with me.  Finished his mission and was going home.  Everyone in the surrounding areas comes to Helena and drives off and we run that so it’s… that was interesting. 

Funny enough, the hardest part about all that was actually seeing Elder Hendricks. It was wonderful and I loved seeing him, he came up because he’s kinda with the assistants right now. Actually I’m not sure why because he technically has a companion. I don’t know.  He has another companion that’s with him, who is actually his new companion since Elder Hatch went home. Bless his heart. Elder Hendricks and I talked a little bit, it was so great to see him.  We smiled, we laughed. I think it was just hard because it really started my mind thinking, “Holy crap”… like, maybe it was also a mix of like the sisters I came out with going home, but I was like “What am I going to do when I get home?” If I’m going to BYU-I, I need to figure out my life right now, I need to find a way to do things.  But this last week was fast Sunday, I fasted and prayed, and I received a lot of comfort in the decision that I shouldn’t go to BYU-I, at least immediately. I don’t know what I am going to do a year or two years after I get home, but immediately I need to go home, work, spend time with my family, and go to CGCC. And that’s the impression that I feel I received.  It was really comforting actually, and kinda powerful, just to… Especially, oh what night was it, Saturday night, I was getting really, really stressed out.  To the point where that was the only thing on my mind.  I was able to work, but I was talking to my companion and I was like, “Listen, I am legitimately stressed out right now.”  It was on my mind, I couldn’t let go of it, and pretty much as I was beginning my fast that night… Well, yeah I started at the night, not right after dinner because I was feeling pretty dehydrated and we both went home and chugged a bunch of water, cause we were both a little low on water and then started our fast. We both had water bottles and we pretty much just downed one, and then we began our fast. It was really good, it helped me over.  But anyways, pretty much as I began my fast, a lot of that stress just kind of left. And the thought kinda came to my head what I should do, and I thought about it, and it seemed like the most logical decision to not pursue going to BYU-I right now, and the spirit kinda really comforted me in that, so, yeah.  That’s my decision.

Oh my goodness I am so congested right now.  Anyways, cool experience.  That was fun. I need to butter this pan, where’s the butter?  Oh my goodness the butter is gone. Wow. Really congested.
Anyways, it was a really good week. I know for a moment there I was like, If I go to BYU-I, that’s gonna be, the tri-mester would start soon, I’d have to find a way to take the ACT or SAT.  I mean I know missionaries that are doing that on their mission, but, well at least I’ve heard of a couple that have done it.  That would be stressful, studying for that early in morning.  I would have to go home from my mission 30 days early.  There’s a lot of elders that came out with me that are doing that, because of school.  And just kind of all these things that I’m like, you know, it’s all this extra work, and I’m not feeling the prompting that I need to do it.  It’s all this extra stress, all these extra hoops I need to jump through, and I don’t know?  Does that make sense what I am saying?  It just feels right that I need to go home. And stay out the full time.  Oh, I’m so excited for that. I’ll admit, part of me was hoping I didn’t have to go home 30 days early, cause that’s like in 5 months. But, yeah, I think the tri-mester starts like 2 days after I would get home normally.  So they’re going home early to see family, prepare, you know.  Umm, yeah, so that’s that.

Other than that small, oh what was that article I saw on LDS.org? They called it I think “A Quarter Life Crisis”. (laughs) That was a fun read.  So other than that, it has been a really good week.
We got (redacted) and, oh, there goes the full names again. We got the Sinclair family, it’s a part member/less active family that we’ve been working with.  She would totally already be a member if it weren’t for the fact that, you know, parole and stuff.  So if you could please edit out that first name that would be great. They’re an awesome, awesome family.  She’s been struggling to get up for church at 9:00 am.  And now that they got their kid back they’re especially excited about that, but it’s been a struggle for them.  So she gave us permission at 7:30 to go and bang on the door like cops to wake them up and so that’s what we did. (laughs) Called them a couple of times, and when they didn’t answer we went and just banged on the door, and got the dogs just continually barking until she came and answered the door and said thank you for waking her up and they came to church.  It was great!  They did leave right after sacrament though, cause their daughter was, she’s 3 or 4, and she hates dresses and she kept trying to tear her dress off.  I think they were pretty embarrassed and weren’t sure what to do, they did just get their kid back, they’re sober, they’re trying to get back into church and everything, and this happened.  I can imagine that it would be really stressful for them.  We’re planning on visiting them tomorrow, having members visit them, just trying to comfort and love them.  I mean, you’re a mom, and thankfully there are other members of the ward who understand, any tips?? Ah, the joys of parenthood that I don’t know yet.

Where’s the butter? (crash) Oh! I found the butter. I dropped the butter. The butter dish is gone.  This is so weird. There’s usually a small plate with the butter on it right next to the stove. I guess I will just make a new one. (whistling Jurassic Park)

Today I had a really fantastic, how long has this recording been going on? Oh! Only 10 minutes. Ok.  Today I had a really fantastic personal study session. I recently started re-reading the Book of Mormon and I have a bunch of fancy study tools now. Normally I just have like a pen, you know, highlight, make notes in… But Elder Shumway’s like, “no, no, no, no buddy, you gotta do this right.” So now I have like little colored tabs that I can put in, I have twistable Crayola crayons… you know to mark with different colors.  I’m doing the Doctrine of Christ read through. I did it a couple of times in Greybull and in Powell, but I kept accidentally handing out the book I was reading so I never really got to finish it.  In fact I don’t think I ever got through First Nephi. Or I got to Second Nephi.  I got through First Nephi a lot and I learned a lot in First Nephi, I love First Nephi.  But, you know it was kinda funny because a lot of people are like “Oh, yeah, yeah, I just can’t get through First Nephi cause I get out of the habit of reading…” And I just kept accidentally giving out my Book of Mormon, or forgetting which one it was. But I don’t feel like I was that serious about doing it, you know?  Like I was doing it because President challenged us all to, and it was great, and I learned a lot, and got a testimony more of it, but now I’m sitting down and I’m, oh I’m just learning so much.
(Stove clicking in the back ground) Hey!  There we go, first try! #success.  

Today I read First Nephi Chapter 2. It’s preparation day so sadly it’s a little less personal study time.  We used to have a full hour, now we have a half hour, because preparation day starts at 8:00.  It was really good. It was a lot about faith in Jesus Christ and enduring to the end.  I saw Lehi teaching his kids or really trying to teach them about the principle of enduring to the end.  “Lemuel, may you be like this river continually flowing unto righteousness.  Laman,” I’m pretty sure, or maybe I’m getting the names mixed up, but the other one was “Laman, may thou be steadfast and immovable like this mountain in keeping the commandments of God.”  Earlier a couple of verses, after they get there, he builds an altar of stones, after they have just been traveling three days and thanks the Lord. Showing their kids that we thank the Lord for everything.  That, this is how we can keep our faith alive. This is how we find joy and peace. I see a great example of that teaching, which actually is coming to mind right now as I’m testifying to you of this, the spirit is just like “Boom! Boom! Boom! Here’s a bunch more examples!” As I’m just thinking of it, there’s another great example where Nephi applies that teaching, um you see, after, it’s like later in First Nephi, they haven’t gotten to the point where he’s building the boat yet, but you see, I think it’s in the same chapter, and Hank Smith, l love listening to Hank Smith, he talks about this.  The two comparisons in attitudes you see between Nephi and Laman and Lemuel. Nephi: “You know, it’s been a hard journey, but I’m so thankful for it.  The Lord has made our women strong like unto us men, that they might give plenty of suck unto their children.  He’s let raw meat taste sweet unto us. He’s helped us through all this, so that we might achieve all that he wants us to achieve.”  He talks about the blessings they’ve gotten, and you can clearly see he’s applying the principle of thanking God.  And then you have Laman and Lemuel, you know, who are going on about How “Their women have toiled, being big with child, and how it would have been better had they been dead” and they’re just basically complaining the whole time.  Elder Holland (laughs) There’s a quote from him, that says that “for all the complaining that Laman and Lemuel” I’m paraphrasing here because I don’t remember the exact quote, but it’s “For all the complaining that they were doing, surely Nephi must have said once, ‘Hit me again for I can still hear you!’” (laughs) I’m like, “Elder Holland!!” Oh, I love the scriptures.  Really wonderful, I can’t wait for my study session tomorrow. I was just finishing in my prayer, I’m like, “Heavenly Father, thank you for this great session! Please bless me that I might continue to have this strong desire to continue to study hard and to learn a lot as I do this read through.” And already I’m feeling the spirit and it’s just, it was a good day. It was a good day.

Why did I just wash my hands after cracking that one egg when I still have more eggs to crack? I had a weird dream last night, it wasn’t necessarily a dream, it was like 5:30, I kinda woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep, and so I’m just kinda sitting there and pondering, or laying there and pondering since you’re not really supposed to get up before your companion, so I’m just kinda sitting there. And, I don’t know, maybe it was the Lord continuing to help me see the wise decision of going home and not going to BYU-I immediately, or even at all, I don’t know. But, it was a lot of, I don’t even know how to describe it, almost like I felt that I’d have a lot of joy, that I saw my family a lot.  It was just kind of day dreaming almost, I don’t remember much about it, but I remember being with my family a lot, you guys, my friends, helping them… I don’t even know how to describe it, I’m just gonna stop talking.  It was super cool and the Lord just basically confirmed to me this morning that that’s what I need to do.  I don’t even know what it was. It was awesome though. 


That’s my day so far, I’m gonna pause this recording and send it off since it’s 18 minutes long now, oh my goodness, I really hope it sends off.  I love you so much! Happy Monday! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment