Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Broken glasses, baptismal interviews, and whatnot

Hello!

Wow. Where to start, I honestly don't know this week. I sucked at journaling this week so I'm going through area book :)

First of all, CHRISTOPHER!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You rock! 

Ok I think I have my bearings straight now, let's do this.

So this week was mainly really finishing getting to know everyone. We were finally able to sit down and have a really great couple of discussions with the bishop over here in Greybull, and finally meet all of our focus investigators and less-actives (except for 2 but they're out of town. :/)

Of the people that we met there are a few that really stood out. One is Bro. Porter. Bro Porter is a great man that we met this last Monday. He has been taught by the missionaries for quite a while now but he is definitely making progress, one of the things that I love about bro. Porter is his honest testimony. One of the first things that he told us is that he doesn't like formal lessons, he prefers to sit and chat about the gospel and our testimonies. So while his lessons are a little hard to plan for, they are always uber spiritual.

At this last one he told us how he honestly knows that he's less-active and that he needs God in his life. He's just struggling to do all the things that he needs to do. It is so nice to meet someone who is willing to be honest to themselves like that. :) Another funny thing about bro. Porter is that before, during, and after every lesson he loads us up with ice cream and chocolate and other sweets soooo their went my diet :)

Also this week we got to know the Frame family better, the Frame family is one of the strongest recent converts you will meet, hands down. They are so solid! The husband and wife were baptized back in December I think (Elder Hendricks will correct me if I'm wrong), and hey both just love the Gospel. Unfortunately the three kids aren't allowed to be baptized yet because their other parent won't let them.  :/ Thankfully they have absolutely amazing testimonies as well, so I don't have any worries there. For our lesson with them this week we started the Book of Mormon with them as a family. The funny thing is, we only got through the title page and the introduction because EVERYONE was making comments about things that stick out to them and bearing their testimonies on it. It was AMAZING! Fantastic! Superb!

Let me think, who else. Oh. Chuck. Chuck is another one of those boss Less-actives that literally keeps every single commitment! He's struggling with giving up a few things but he's totally pushing through and fighting it like a boss! I'm honestly not too sure what else to say about him, he is a total cowboy guy, yet is one of the nicest guys you will meet. Unless you get on his bad side, but I can't see us doing that anytime soon :)

But ya, things are going great here :) This week, Thursday evening, I had the amazing opportunity  to conduct a baptismal interview for a 9 yr old! She was absolutely hilarious! Definitely a little on the sassy side, at one point she told me and her grandpa to "check ourselves before we wrecked ourselves" but ya. After that I got to attend the baptism on Saturday. The funny thing about it though was the bishop didn't get to come so I had to stay in Worland another couple three hours to get a signature from him it all worked out so yay!

That awkward moment when your companion is cutting your hair and you tell him that your usual is a 1 on the sides and a 3 on top. He talked me out of a 2 but I was DEAD CONVINCED that a 3 was going to be too long :).



I need to get going so quick spiritual thought,

One of my absolute favorite things about this area is that I get to serve the sacrament almost twice a day. :) We usually serve it in the Basin Ward, then we go and help out at a senior center and either bless or pass the sacrament there. It's absolutely amazing! I completely forgot what a spiritual experience it can be :) at one point this Sunday I practically broke down in tears while passing it to all of the seniors as the took he bread and water and then told me thank you :) I am so thankful for the opportunity that we all have to take the sacrament. What an amazing thing it is! Every week we have the opportunity to renew our covenants with God, to basically be re-baptized! I am so thankful for a Savior who loves me and died for me so that we can continue to grow, and actually put things behind us :).

My glasses broke while I was cleaning them. :/ The little metal hinge thing just snapped in half. Don't worry though, the ward here is UBER nice. The bishop saw me with my taped up glasses and then practically chastised me for not telling anyone 😅 he then offered to pay for new ones but then some how the stake president (who lives an hour away) talked to bro. Cheatham (the member that we are staying with) and asked him to drive me up and gave me a free checkup and a free new pair :). He currently has my old ones and said that he will try to find a matching frame AND update the lenses in it! Thankfully it only costs about $15 to make a pair, at least that's what he told me. I am so thankful for the members here seriously! 

Seriously though. I even got to watch the stake president got through the process of making them! It was awesome! Plus my glasses breaking was a total blessing because my old pair was starting to give me a headache. Apparently my right eye has gotten quite a bit better but now my left eye now is getting blind :) so dual prescription! 

Also funny story real quick, thankfully this week I didn't have to play the organ in church because  a lady came to the Ward, and will be here the next month or two, however that just means that I was bumped to chorister. Which was totally awesome! The funny thing was for some reason I got compel toy nervous doing it and at one point signaled for the song to end after the second verse! Unfortunately people here actually watch the conductor (Sorry Flo) and so they all STOPPED.
Completely. Thankfully they all had smiles on and laughed about it but ya :).

Love you all!


Never give up, Never Surrender!

-Elder Berrett

No comments:

Post a Comment