Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Transcript of a voice recording Elder Berrett sent

Hey mom, this is your son, Nick! Um, I’m just recording this real quick, just to uh, to say hi.
Right now I’m kinda the only one who’s not calling home right now. Elder Hendricks is on his second phone call home to his other parent, Elder Wessendorf is calling, and my companion is calling, so I just thought I’d record this and send this out tomorrow.

Things here are going really great honestly, um I’m just completely enjoying the mission.  It’s something that has changed me. Literally changed me.  Um, I don’t know, I’m trying to think of things to say.  I don’t know if you got my email the other day, there was literally me just saying that I wish that I had stuck with the piano kindof because I have had to play it a few times like at district meeting the other day and I totally got called out, they are like, “Hey is that Hymns Made Easy?”  That happens when you are in a district full of singers and they all try to sing the different parts.  I love it though.

I’m so thankful for really where I am.  This is where I need to be. It’s been amazing.  I think the coolest part is that I’ve just really seen how the Lord puts things into our mouths when we need them.  Just the other day I was really terrified when I was going into the Bible study where I met the other investigators, and just throughout the whole lesson because I’m not too familiar with the Bible, like, I know all the stories, but I don’t know scripture references, I don’t know all those things,  I’m still barely working on getting all of that down for the Book of Mormon, and I sit down, and they’ll start quoting a scripture and a reference will come to mind, or I’ll be at least able to finish it, you know it’s amazing how the Lord just helps me out, so much.  So that’s kinda been a cool experience that I had.

Um, I’m trying to think… Sorry for not singing earlier, I know you kept trying to get me to do that but I was sortof calling in the middle of the other ward’s hour, I was in the middle of the family history center, and uh, literally people were walking by and they would just hear some random kid singing in the family history center in the middle of the church.  They were not necessarily in sacrament meeting, but yeah…  So I figured I wouldn’t do that, sorry.  Um, I guess I could totally sing something now.  I’m not sure what I would sing.  Uh, going through a hymn book literally right now. (crashing sounds) oh, this poor piano.  This piano on the stage is pretty, well, used. 
(piano note plays- he sings the first verse of “I Know That My Redeemer Lives.”)

Ok, well, there’s that.

(Grunts, shuffling sounds) Sorry, I nearly dropped my ipad.  I’m not sure what else to say.  Right now I’m timing elder Hendricks call so he can remain exactly obedient and not go over 40 minutes. Oh, I love that kid so much, he’s awesome.   Elder Wessendorf is communicating with his family on his homecoming plans.  They’re like, “Yeah, we have a banner!  We won’t tell you what’s on it, but we got a banner!” (laughs)

It’s awesome. You know it’s amazing that seriously a mission will do. Um I just can’t tell you how happy I am that Madison is going to get to experience this too.  Elder Hendricks got to talk to his sister who is on a mission as well, um, they sorta just did a three way skype call and it’s just, I’m so excited to see how much Madison and Zach and Christopher will grow.  You know, obviously I’m only a third of the way through my mission but its crazy. I mean, I’m not perfect by any means, I feel like I’ve actually regressed a little bit with some of my uh, housekeeping skills. But, it’s honestly amazing what missions do. 

Recently I’ve been reading in the New Testament and it’s just amazing to read about the life of Jesus Christ to see the apostles write their testimonies of him.  It’s one of my favorite things, honestly, I’m loving it.  I still gotta say the Book of Mormon is by far my favorite.  Granted, I haven’t necessarily read the whole New Testament cover to cover.  I’ve studied it in seminary, I’ve probably read the whole thing if you count me reading just the individual books, but from cover to cover, no. But the Book of Mormon is still hands down my favorite.

I had a flashback to choir the other day,  I was reading a little bit out of the book of Ruth, and “Entreat Me Not to Leave You” came flashing into my mind.  That was pretty cool.  Uh,  I got the audio of “Daemon” um, off of youtube (laughs) on preparation day, I just copied the link, and uh, I got the audio file for it and was listening to it the other day.  It’s probably not something that I would listen to all the time, but I was just like “For old time’s sake, it talks about Jesus, I’ll justify that…” (laughs) So that was awesome.  I’ve been trying to think of old songs that I sang. 

I’ve really enjoyed all the music that you sent me. My companion’s got a bit of a different style, so I haven’t been listening to it too much.  I really, I feel like I’ve kinda gotten on his nerves a little bit and I don’t want to annoy him too much. However, like, if he’s in the shower I’ve got a little speaker that plays a USB so I’ll throw it in there and listen to music, so I promise your efforts didn’t go to waste, I seriously, again, thank you so much for that.

Um, yeah, it’s been awesome.  I’m trying to think what else you might want to hear from me. Oh! Remember that hammer multi-tool you sent me?  Well, I, uh, I lost it like halfway through Elder Guthrie, and we took the car through like this free car wash, and like deep cleaned it basically, and I totally found it.  In like the cup holder of all places.  Covered up by basically just lots of pamphlets and copies of the Book of Mormon.  It’s amazing what you can fit in that little side cup-holder thing in the driver’s door. Man. You know, the thing in the door that most people use as a trash can.  I felt so bad, there were probably a good 15 different pamphlets that were just ruined, you know from sitting in there and getting all crumpled up slowly…man… tithing money… yeah...

But yeah, there’s that.  Apparently today we were supposed to be fasting as a zone.  My companion and I didn’t know.  I said an “I’m sorry” prayer while blessing my lunch.  (laughs) And then I’m probably just gonna like fast Tuesday or something.

This next week is going to be crazy.  I’m going to be in a trio.  I’ve kinda always wanted to be in a trio.  I’ve heard like, interesting things about them, like how it’s hard, but at the same time like I’m gonna be in a trio with Elder Hendricks and Elder Haskins so it can’t be that bad.  I love those guys both so I’m pretty excited about that.

Um, yeah, like it’s been crazy we’re trying to hurry and coordinate our schedules for the weekend since they’re pretty booked.  We don’t have too much, but we have a few set lessons.  We’ve been kinda struggling to get lessons in our area but, it’s been picking up, it’s been good.  We’ve seen tons of miracles. I think that’s one of my favorite things about missions so far is that like I’ve learned to really recognize miracles. I don’t know, maybe that’s just part of growing up more and uh, and I guess just learning to see through adult-ish eyes.  I’m not sure that I’d say that 19 is an adult.  (laughs) I’m fairly kid-ish still but uh, I definitely see and recognize miracles a lot more. You know, I’ll be looking back, and I’m like “Man!  That’s a lot of miracles that happened today!” 

Um, oh, our Bishop today just rebuked everybody in church because we have a ward temple day and he said that the majority of the worthy temple recommend holders weren’t going to the temple.  It’s been planned for like three months out.  It was pretty…like…I loved it though.  While he was rebuking, I felt the spirit so strongly during it.  And that was kind of amazing.  I’m reflecting a lot on the temple lately, I hope to go there soon. 

I just heard something so I think my companion’s done.  So, I’ll probably head out and go talk to him.
Love you, bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment