Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Monday, May 23, 2016

Howdy!

Hello Everyone!

Well, Looks like I finally made it out of Butte, and into WYOMING! The Greybull, Basin, Tensleep area is FANTASTIC! 

I have absolutely already fallen in love with everything here! Oh my goodness!!! I love it here so much!!

Wow where to start, ok area first. Well, it's a lot like I guessed it would be last week. We cover three wards, Graybull, Basin, and Tensleep. Graybull and Basin are about 8 miles away from each other with the church building in between them. And Tensleep is forever away so apparently the last missionaries only went there about once or twice a month tops. Thankfully we are working with a ton of great people! I think my favourite part about Wyoming so far is that EVERYONE is open to talk with you. At one point this week one of our lessons fell through and it was about 8:00 and we weren't sure what to do. So I decided to take a page out of my trainer's book at go use the bathroom and talk to people at the gas station, dang! We totally found a boss new investigator! Unfortunately, I can not remember his name at the moment, but he is so ready! We have a lesson set up with him this saturday so I'll report on how that went!

My new companion is hilarious! Elder Ison has been out 5 months now and is loving the mission. He is still a little self-conscious and nervous, but he is a rocking missionary! One big thing that we have in common is that we love musicals, we've been listening to he prince of Egypt soundtrack a lot :). He also likes country music, eh, nobody's perfect. :) 

OH! Funny story time! So when my companion and I first got our car, we were given an address in Basin and were told that that was our house. THANKFULLY we we're also informed that there was a ward party that we needed to hurry and get to, so after the 2 hour drive (yep I'm getting to be a way better navigator, maps are the best thing ever invented) we ended up at the ward party. (Also it was about 8 at night and we hadn't really eaten all day cause we were driving.) It was seriously a huge blessing that we had this party, because apparently our apartment got flooded with raw sewage a week or two earlier and now we are living with members in Graybull! We literally would have walked into our apartment to see it all taped up and locked down not knowing what to do. :) We went and checked it out the other day, its at least a 2 month cleanup from what our landlord told us. 

Anyways we are now living with the Cheatham's. Sister Cheatham is the relief society president and bro Cheatham is the Elders Quorum Second councilor and also the music conductor for sacrament meeting. (Side story, he will be out of town next week and asked me to conduct for him next week, I'm so pumped!) Anyways they are a freakin awesome family! Tons of Great Free Food. Free laundry and dryer, and free wifi. It really doesn't get better. Oh wait it does, bro Cheatham is also the master of sarcasm and is hilarious! He also is a huge baker and is excited to teach me his art of bread making :) and pie making. :) It's going to be great! My first lesson is today. Seriously, staying with members as a missionary is amazing! While at first it can be a little awkward, It is truly a huge blessing! 

Serving in a small town is really interesting. Everyone knows everyone! Also news really gets around fast! We were tracting and ran into people that weren't interested, but knew that we were the "new guys" :). Also when giving out addresses, people don't like the whole numbers thing, thankfully it's all down in LDS tools, but most of our directions are "well head North out of town, before you get to a bridge turn right, when you see a couple three trees, turn left, at the big white trailer you'll see there's a big F350 by it, make a left, and we are the house on the right." No joke I just pulled that from a text. Ya. Umm other than that, we have some boss people we are working with!  We have quite a few investigators but we will probably be dropping a bit of them, most of em aren't really interested just like to chat. While I know it's important to get to know someone, when that's all that they have let missionaries do for the last 17 lessons, it's time to drop or give them a break. The members here are super nice and very missionary minded. I think Elder Hendricks was correct in saying that this is the "Celestial Kingdom" it's amazing! 

Let me think what else, Oh! One of the wards that we work in, the Basin ward, has had about 6 baptisms in the last year and they are so pumped up about missionary work! It is such a blessing to be in a ward that is so excited about it! One thing that this ward does not lack in, is fellowshippers. This ward is such a huge inspiration to me to keep on working! I love it!

Oh! Random side note. I don't think I can say I'm not allergic to anything anymore :/ I was at a less-actives house the other day and within minutes of petting a cat my eyes started swelling up and getting really teary, then my throat got really sore and nose puffy. Thankfully after a few hours and a nights rest it went away, but ya. I think I might be allergic. The thing that got me was the really itchy eyes. I swear I was going to claw them out. Ya. Again not for sure but putting 2 and 2 together seems to be equaling 4. But ya, it looks like I got more than just mom's good taste in music from her. :)

I'm so happy that mad stayed in choir. :) Oh speakin of staying in music stchuff, guess who was asked several times to play the piano. :/ ya. Thankfully the house has a piano that I can practice at and learn more hymns on :). Also if you know anyone who has any tips for playing the organ...... That would be great :) I need to learn how to play at least a hymn on it by Sunday.

We do tons of service here! In fact of the funnest things that we do here is that we go to the senior center and help them bowl for an hour, there are a few investigators that we work with there so it's awesome!

Haha sister Wadsworth just called and checked up on me to see if I was wearing my brace.   Then she chewed me out and had my companion tell me to go put it on right now :) I am doing better, I probably remember 5/7 days a week. :) 

Sorry, I had a list of stuff I was going to write about but I cant find it anywhere. :/

Anyways, Thank you all for all that you do! Love you! 

Here's some pictures from my last area before I was transferred.


Sister Perez, she is a returned less-Active that I worked with, she was always feeding us at her house :)

Sister Smith, Also a returned Less-Active that I worked with they were both best friends and basically helped each other get active :) 

Elder Haskins

Elder Hendricks- apparently he made the "Christ" display from a bunch of Pass-along cards and old beat up pamphlets. 


Elder Berrett, Elder DeMille and Sister Granados being transferred to their various new areas.

I have no idea what the significance of this picture is. 



 Never give up, Never Surrender!
-Elder Berrett 

No comments:

Post a Comment