Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Monday, June 6, 2016

Ich Spreche Nicht Spanisch

Good Afternoon everyone!!!

Wow, another week has already come and gone in the mission. I can hardly believe it!

Life is Wyoming is great, as usual :). Things are going really great honestly! We came into this area with a TON of investigators to work with, and we just found two more! I am just so pumped to be here! 

Life with my companion is great, he's almost always sarcastic, so that's interesting. Not that sarcasm is bad, it's just hard to tell when he is joking sometimes, but he honestly is really nice. He's absolutely hilarious though and would be a perfect companion except he likes the AC on ALWAYS. :) Apparently anything above 75 is WAAAAY too hot. Gosh I've missed the heat, did you know that it's supposed to get in the 100's this week here? I'm so pumped! 

This week lets see, on Monday we had an awesome lesson with Marci! It was honestly our first real lesson with her, we have seen her in church but this was the first time really meeting her! She's a hoot, she literally introduced her self by walking up to us, shaking our hands and said "Hi I'm the problem." She's hilarious, a little crazy, but hilarious. She is a recent convert that we are now giving the new member discussions to, and she just loves the gospel, it's been so much fun to teach her! Today we are going over there and are teaching her about temples, we finally get to use those new pamphlets the church put out! I'm so pumped I've been waiting to use them for two weeks now! Heck ya!

On Tuesday we mostly worked with less-actives, got to know a bunch more and thankfully had some great lessons :).

On Wednesday however we had a lesson with BRIAN! Brian is a former investigator that we contacted who is TOTALLY interested in meeting with us. He was dropped a year ago because the elders tried by a few times but weren't able to meet with him, thankfully he's just had more time to prepare. At first he was a little standoff-ish, but then once he realized that we actually aren't weird and actually believe the same things that he believes, he was way more open :). Anyways after discussion with him a little bit about our common believes I pulled out the Book of Mormon. It was kind of funny because he immediately stiffened up and looked like I just pulled out a gun or something.
When I asked if he would take it, he looked me straight in the eyes and told me to explain what it is in two paragraphs. Holy cow the spirit was so strong! Both me and my companion took the opportunity to then share our testimonies of it and how we came to know that it is true, and explain that it truly, like the Bible, testifies of the Savior and promised him that he will come closer to Jesus Christ by reading and abiding by its precepts. :) He totally commitment to read it! Fingers crossed that he will pray about it!

Thursday not much happened outside of weekly planning. We mostly went around and did finding activities that day. :)

On Friday we literally did service all day. Except at the very end but it was crazy, in the morning we helped someone break down a wall :) tons of fun there, :) then we had bowling at a senior center here in Greybull, then we did some service at the other senior center in Basin, then we finished off the day with a couple active member lessons :).

Saturday was mostly contacting and teaching people that our Ward council asked us to go visit, tons of fun and wonderfullness, just not much to say about it.

Then finally glorious Sunday came. I just love Sundays here. I get to help bless and pass the sacrament every week! It is just a serious reminder of all that our Savior did for us and how important the sacrament is. I know I said this last week but I am again truly thankful for it. :)

Oh! Almost forgot, on Friday, that's right it wasn't all service, we had a lesson with the Garay family. The really cool thing about the Garay family is that only one of them really speaks English. The dad sorta speaks it but his understanding is really low. Because of this my companion and I now get to teach the Gospel in Spanish! We were a little curious if this was going to happen when we got here and half of our supplies were in Spanish, and it finally did! Thankfully we have a few members who will said that they would come to our rescue at our next lesson so we won't be completely on our own, but ya it's awesome! For our last lesson with them we showed the Restoration video (the last 10 min. Of the 20 min. version one) and the spirit was so strong! I don't know if I was just paying more attention to the spirit because I couldn't understand a single word the video was saying, or if Spanish is just more spiritual 😀 but it was amazing! It even brought the dad to tears, who is actually a less-active member! It was great! Because about 1/4 of Greybull speaks Spanish, half of the supplies we get are in Spanish so I can just about bear my testimony in Spanish now!

I love how much the lord helps us in our daily lives. Lately in comp study we have been reciting ether 12:27 which reads "27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I LOVE THIS SCRIPTURE! Satan is always pointing things out to us that make us think that we are weak, or aren't good enough, why try? But you know what? Yes. We have weaknesses. We aren't good at every thing! But through the Lord, we truly can do all things!

We have never gone too far, are too imperfect, or too messed up. If we let Jesus Christ's Atonement into our lives, we can do all things!

Never give up, Never Surrender!
-Elder Berrett


No comments:

Post a Comment