Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Monday, June 26, 2017

Voice Recording June 26 part 1

Well good morning.  Wow this has been one roller coaster of a week.  Holy cow.  Granted college stress has been a majority of that, but that’s all gone now.  So where to start?  Probably with college. So last Monday and Tuesday I was in doing all the applications and everything, you know, you got the email end of all of that. So I have all the accounts created, got my email set up, which gosh, I’m really thankful for because the account they gave me has unlimited space.  I’m like “No way!” Typical accounts will have like 15 gigs free.  Our LDS one is 50 gigs free.  This one is unlimited, so, yeah.  I’m like storing everything in there now.  It’s great.

Let’s see… Wednesday.  Just a super great day. Trying to remember what we did.  We didn’t do district meeting because we had a zone conference this week.  So I’ll just skip to that, because that’s next at least as college wise goes.  Friday I’m talking to President and I’m like, “Hey, so…” Oh yeah, as I’m doing all the forms and everything, I’m going through and I see that the placement test has to be done completely (before he can register) and I’m like “ugh, are you kidding me?” So maybe I go home what, like a week early? And then I’m going through and I also have to attend this Coyote Kickoff thing, whatever that is? Some orientation thing?  And I’m like, “Okay, when is the latest one of those?”  They run through July and their latest one is August 3rd.  And I’m like, “Uhhhhhh…. No. I’m not going home two and a half weeks early.”  But then I’m like, “Crap, what if I have to? I don’t want to do this.”  So at Zone Conference I was talking to President, and I didn’t tell him about this third thing, but I’m like “So I might need to go home a week early…”  And he’s like “Oh, ok.  Just let us know. We’ll get that all figured out.”  And so Friday we get home from Zone conference, I look up the number and call the counselor, and the office is closed because they are only open Monday through Thursday.  So I’m like “Oh perfect.”  So this weekend has kinda been like “Waiting for Monday, waiting for Monday….”  And then Monday hit and I just got off the phone with her.  Super sweet lady.  She’s understood what a mission was, and I explained to her all I’d done so far, and she’s like “So classes start the 21st…”  And I’m like “I get home the 19th.”  And she’s like “Oh.”  And then after talking and doing some figuring out, I can skip the Coyote thing, and I can do like a late start or something like that.  Basically I go in Monday morning, the 21st,  take the placement test then, and then go see a counselor, plan my schedule out, enroll in everything, and get all this done that Monday.  And then start classes.  However because it’s late start classes, I can only sign up this semester for Tuesday / Thursday classes and I think meteorology was a Monday / Wednesday class. Which I’m like “Crap. Ok.” That will limit my options to classes, but it’s the only thing we can do.

I’ve had just a lot of cool spiritual experiences this week.  Like this morning and last night I was really praying.  I was like “Heavenly Father – 1) please help my family, 2) please help me know what to do right now, I have this decision to make.  What am I going to do?  And as I sat down this morning, I was praying the same thing, I prayed it as I began my personal study, and I opened up to Alma chapter 43, and my attitude has just been like “Oh great.  The war chapters.” Like they’re great, and there’s tons of stuff in there, but it’s just a lot harder to look for principles in them.  But immediately, the spirit was with me, I was clued in, and, let me open it up here,  So Alma 43  - there’s the Zoramites that Alma has been trying to teach, and they had very little success trying to bring them back into the gospel.  You know, all these less active members.  And they end up joining the Lamanites, and then stirring them up to anger along with Amalekites, and were basically saying, “Hey, lets go kill the Nephites.”  We’re talking at the beginning it says they came upon the Nephites in thousands. You know, just falling upon them.  They had this massive, giant army.  I’m like, “Holy crap.” Immediately the spirit is like, “Yeah, that’s your problem.”  The Nephites saw that the Lamanites were coming upon them. But it says “Therefore they made preparations for war.”  And as I’m reading, the spirit is like, “okay, what are you doing to prepare for the rest of your life? And all the battles and things that Satan is going to throw at you and your family and temptations and everything?”   And it talks about the Lamanites designs and the purposes that they might usurp great power over them and bring them into bondage.  And the Nephites purpose was to support their lands, their houses, their wives, their children, their families, that “they might preserve them from the hands of their enemies”…. That they might worship God according to their desires…. Their liberty, their rights…  But ultimately in the end, along with obviously the Power of God, one of the big things that helped them, was the fact that the Lamanites all they had was their weapons basically.  Apart from “skin girded about their loins”, they were naked.  And the Nephites were girded about with, “Moroni had prepared his people with breastplates, and with arm shields, and also shields to defend their heads…”  and they also dressed with thick clothing, and it says a couple verses later in 21, “therefore they were exceedingly afraid of the army of the Nephites because of their armor, notwithstanding their number being so much greater than the Nephites.”  And as I’m reading this, the Lord is basically like, “Hey.”  You know, poking me with the spirit.  And he’s like listen, “This mission is to prepare you for the rest of your life.” It makes a comment in here, in verse 38, “While on the other hand, there was now and then a man fallen among the Nephites by their swords and the loss of blood, they being shielded from the more vital parts of the body, or the more vital parts of the body being shielded from the strokes of the Lamanites, by their breastplates, and their armshields, and their head-plates; and thus the Nephites did carry on the work of death among the Lamanites.”  You know they had armor covering all their vital parts, not part, not most, but all.   And basically as I’m reading the Lord is like, “You need to serve the full two years.”  It talks about just all that they did to prepare and calling upon the Lord and relying on him and they were able to be victorious and save themselves.  And then I went and read Preach My Gospel Chapter 1 – My Purpose, and it testified that there are people out there who need the gospel.  So not only do I need to finish preparing myself, setting the foundation for the rest of my life, there are people out there that need the gospel, need me the last bit. I’m like, “okay.”  So basically I finished personal study with the attitude that no matter what, I’m not going home early. And I know that the Lord is going to help me and provide a way to do what needs to be done, because I do feel like I do obviously need to attend college, but if needs be I’ll just work and postpone it, but it was really cool this morning it was just like I did call and see that he did provide a way.  It may just be a couple of classes, but I’ll be able to get started.  And honestly it might be better because then I’ll have more time to get a job, work, get myself going, get a schedule going, and then when the next semester comes, sign up for more classes, and then work my schedule around that as well. But, it really, really worked out.  I’m really thankful for that.

Um let’s see, zone conference.  That was amazing.  Had just super spiritual, powerful experiences. As President Wadsworth talked about striving, and you change just as much as you allow yourself to be changed.  He said that when he was younger, he didn’t want to go on a mission, he said “cause I was afraid that I’d go and I’d change too much, and I wouldn’t like the same stuff, and all my friends wouldn’t want to hang out with me.”  And then he’s like, “I went on my mission and guess what?  I changed.” But 1) it was all good, and 2) he only changed as much as he allowed himself to be changed, his personality was still the same and all these things. He challenged us all to be more obedient.  Sister Wadsworth spoke of having good attitudes about things. I think there’s been a bit of a pessimistic attitude about somethings on our mission, like tiwi coming – a little black box that yells at you in the car, which comes in the first week of August. That’s the official date now. Like they are saying “C’mon!  No! Rethink those negative thoughts!” From “This is gonna suck” to “These things save lives!” These things have been proven to reduce the amount of accidents and also the severity of accidents and they’re really trying, and I’m like “It will be great!  I only have to deal with it for two weeks, but it will be great!” That’s probably not the right attitude to have.  But, yeah. 

Things are going good here.  Didn’t make any more improvements on our house this week because we’ve been busy, which was good.  We went on a fun hike Monday.  There’s tons of pictures that were taken, and I think I have some on my camera, but a lot of them were taken by a sister in our district.  She goes home with me actually.  Sister Jacobi.  And so I have to wait until this Wednesday to get them all from her, and also pictures of like the float and everything, so, yeah.  I have lots of more pictures I am going to send you, just none from the hike or things this week.  Also, I was going through and I can’t remember what I have or haven’t sent you and so thinking back to the principles, and going over all the rules, I do feel that this is acceptable.  Remember back when, near the start of my mission, there was the apple icloud share or whatever it was thing? You know, I had my pictures on it and everything, well President Wadsworth asked us all to not use that.  The biggest reason being that people could comment and ‘like’ all the photos and everything, and it was kinda like social media.  Well I was thinking, on the photos app here, I can create an album and share it with people, but people can’t comment or really do anything, as far as I’m aware of.  I’ll double check that.  I’ve been looking and I can’t really see a way.  It’s just like “Here’s a bunch of photos that I have.”  So I’m basically just going to stick all the photos so far from my time in Stevensville.  I counted and it’s like 103.  Granted like 40 of them are really cool views or sunsets that I’ve taken.  Especially around Elder Johnson, he loved taking nature photos, so I just kinda took them around him as well, because you know, I’m not going to waste the time.  So, there’s that.  So keep an eye out for an email like that.

Let me think… yeah.  I love the work, it’s going great here actually.  We had a lesson with Amanda this week. That was amazing.  Getting to teach the restoration to someone who has never heard it again.  It’s been awhile.  Sadly. We’ve been trying, it’s just like no one is immediately wanting to hear it.  But Amanda, she’s super busy she’s an English college teacher, over at the University of Missoula, and then she also teaches English online to foreigners, so she basically creates these online lessons, and then students submit these minute, or two minute clips of them speaking in sentences, or writing sentences and speaking them.  Things like that.  And she listens to them and grades them, that’s a job that she likes because she can pretty much do it at any time, or she can say get up at six, and do it, she has two young kids, one is like two, three, and the other is like five or six, actually I think he might be nine, and you know she says “I like it because I can pull out my headphones, get them something when they need it, or help them when they need help, and then sit back down, put my headphones in and press replay again.  But she is definitely a mom.  Every time we go over, she’s like “Can I get you boys anything to drink?” And I’m like, “We’re fine.” She’s like in her early 30’s.   Her personality, well partly, so take Jamie, and instead of dogs, she loves the kids, but that same just crazy personality just like everywhere, and that’s her.  She’s a little calmer, and maybe not as brash.  Or violent.  But I was just kinda sitting there, and I’m just like “You remind me of someone…”  and then it clicked, and I’m like “Oh! You remind me of aunt Jamie.”  I’ve met a couple of people who remind me of aunt Jamie out here.  But yeah, it was super fun to teach her that.  She has read the Book of Mormon a bit since we last taught her, it’s been two weeks.  She read the introduction, title page, all the testimonies of witnesses, and then read up to 1 Nephi 4.  Had a couple questions about what some things meant, like in the introduction it talks about the latter days, and she’s like, “What is that?”  and we read it and as much as she loves the scriptures, she has a hard time understanding the Old Testament, or not necessarily understanding, but she’s like, “it’s just… boring. It’s more of a historical account.”  Which is fair.  She was saying “You guys challenged me to, so I was reading First Nephi and trying to go through it, and it was just so historical, and so I decided to skip to 3rd Nephi 11 where you pointed out that Christ came, and so I’m reading that and comparing it to the Sermon on the Mount in the Bible…”  And I’m like, “Woah. Okay. ”  So we’ll see how that goes.  Like, that’s kind of a cool thing, I should do that sometime, you know, when I’m not doing a thousand other things.  I’m trying to finish the Book of Mormon, I’m also trying to complete Presient Nelson’s challenge he gave to all the YSA over the last YSA devotionals, to go through the topical guide and look up all the scriptures on Jesus Christ and read them all.  And Holy Cow, it’s like, it’s a crap ton.


But yeah.  I’m going to pause this because it’s been 19 minutes and 23 seconds, and make a new one.  Love you  Bye! 

No comments:

Post a Comment