Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Voice recording June 12 part 3

And Good morning Gilbert, Arizona! It is 9:04 am, well where you are it is 8:04 am.  Over here it’s a beautiful 52 degrees.  Over in Arizona supposedly it’s a beautiful 72 degrees.  Skies are clear, it’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Continuing on – talks in Sacrament meeting.  So I have that old tablet of mine, this is just a bit of background, it’s cracked and everything, the LCD doesn’t work, still it’s in its box.  I got a hold of this cable, and I’m like “I can hook up my tablet to a tv in district meeting!” and I’ve been sitting there, and I’m just like, you know, Moss 360 is no longer on that old tablet. And these have just been thoughts that have been in my head.  Not constantly, but those little things that Satan puts in there, like “Hey you could put a game on there, you could do this… you have a means to hook that old tablet up to a screen.”  And I obviously have chosen not to do that, but if I had to say that I had one weakness, that would be it.  You know, this is just proof that the Lord strengthens us so much.  Sacrament meeting – amazing, amazing talks, and they are all on obedience, the power that the Lord gives us to be obedient. And I’m like, “okay, where’s the candid camera here?”  I’m like, “that’s awesome.”  Just really powerful talks.  And then that evening we had a priesthood meeting, one there was a returned missionary that just returned recently, and he got up and gave experiences from his mission, and then testified of the power of keeping the mission rules and preparing yourself for it, being obedient…. And I’m like, “yes.” President Wadsworth and I even had a talk, he’s like, “you’re in a crunch time Elder Berrett…” and I’m like “Stop talking… don’t remind me.”  But they were just really, really powerful spiritual experiences that I had there. That were just reminding me, I CAN do this! Just really strengthened that desire to shove all those thoughts away.  And then I was reading in the Book of Mormon this morning, Alma 24, and that’s the Anti-Nephi Lehi’s.  They had just formed themselves and they talk about, ‘These are our weapons of war, things that we’ve sinned with, and all these things and “How merciful is our God, behold it has been as much as we can do to get our stains taken away from us, and our swords are made bright.  Let us hide them away that they may be kept bright as a testimony to our God at the last day, or at the day that we shall be brought to stand before him and be judged, that we have not stained our swords with the blood of our brethren, since he has imparted his word unto us and has made us clean thereby.”  And I was thinking about it, I was listening to a Hank Smith talk awhile back, and he was comparing this to our weapons of rebellion these days.  They buried them deep in the Earth.  And he’s like, “We all have stuff that keeps us from coming closer to the Lord.  We need to take those and bury them deep, deep within the earth, to the point where….  I mean obviously they could access them again, to the point where the anti-nephi lehi’s sons who hadn’t made this covenant were able to dig them up and use them as weapons of war, the stripling warriors, but you know, they were buried deep, they were out of sight, it’s not like they threw an inch (of dirt) over it, “Oh, I can’t see it… but it’s right in my back yard, and I just need to shovel one or two shovels and grab it and go…”  But I imagine it would have been like, for me I’ve always pictured it in the center of town, had a monument built over it, and they all KNEW that under that were the weapons of war.  Deep, deep in the Earth.  And that gave them strength to know that they had thrown those down there.   And I’m sure that if someone were to go and start digging, his friends would have gone up to him and been like, “hey! No!  Come on, you made this covenant, stay true to it. “ It was something they had all committed to, and all strengthened each other in.   And Hank Smith gives a wonderful, wonderful talk on really burying our stuff, our weapons of war.  And as I’m reading that, I’m like, “you know, there’s that family that is moving to Gilbert, Arizona…” well for one, the thought was this has been sitting on my desk here, because for awhile I was working on it, seeing if I could try to get any old information off of it, figure out exactly how to do it to help sister Wood out, and I’ve been struggling with that because Moss 360 has been blocking all my attempts.  And Moss 360, you know it’s an old tablet, so they erased Moss 360 which reset the tablet anyways, so now there’s nothing to get off of it.  But, so it was sitting next to my desk for awhile there, and I’m like, “you know, I’m just going to go put this up, bury it deep in my suitcase, you know the part of my suitcase that I never use, all zipped up, with all my winter clothes, and then the thought that there was this family moving to Gilbert, Arizona, and they are driving a big truck down, I’m sure if I asked, they’d be willing to send a suitcase down with them.  Well, technically they are moving to San Tan Valley, for a year or two, but they are looking to eventually get to Gilbert, but I’m sure they’d be willing to let me send that home with them.  So that’s what I am going to do.   I’m going to bury that so deep, so that I will be able to finish my mission knowing that I was obedient, it was just one of those cool moments, where I’m like, “This applies to me, right now.”  I love it!  I love reading the scriptures! They’re the freaking best.  The Lord knows how to take us and be like, “Hey, I KNOW you’re struggling with this, here’s a way to help you out. Strengthen you.”  And I’m just like, “You’re the best!  I love you so freaking much.”  It’s amazing how the Lord doesn’t judge us, I mean obviously he does, but in the sense that like,  “Elder Berrett, are you kidding me?!? You’ve been on your mission HOW long, and you want to do this??  What’s wrong with you?”  No, it’s “Hey, are you kidding?  You’re turning to me, you’re paying attention…”  He’s always going to be helping us, we just have to tune in.  And if we sit down and make the time to read our scriptures and go to the temple, seek his help, pay attention in Sacrament meeting, go to our meetings, we’re going to be strengthened, endowed with that power like what Moses did.  To be able to throw off all the temptations that Satan gives us.  We don’t HAVE to give in.   That was a big thing that President Wadsworth and I were talking about.   That was really cool, I’m like, “I love that point.”  So, I’m like, yeah.  That was that. That was the point I wanted to talk about.

Funny note from the Priesthood meeting though, there was a guy from another ward, I don’t even remember his name, but he was also kinda talking about the Atonement, and he’s like, “People think that like if I want to get from Butte to here,”  and Butte is in Western Montana,  or at least it’s west of here, way over west.  He’s like, “If I were to go to Missoula and go to this road and just head east…”  apparently it’s like some freeway or something that everyone’s familiar with, or interstate road or something like that.  “If I were to just head East, I’m not going to get to Butte.  Like technically  I could go all the way around the world, but that’s besides the point.  That’s not how you get to Butte.   I don’t care what people tell you, you are not going to get to Butte by traveling east.  You have to turn around and drive west.  People can tell you to make all the facts in the world, ‘Well it’s more economical and you’ll be able to do this, and actually this is the faster way to get to Butte.  Go east.’  But that’s not going to work. Obviously.  The same with the gospel. Satan is going to throw all this stuff at you, and tell you, ‘No, this is how you get peace and joy.  This is how you get to Heaven.  Go east.’”  And then he stops and goes, “Uh, not to say that Butte is the Celestial kingdom, or to be confused with Heaven.”  He kinda made a joke and I’m sitting there going, “Yeah, don’t want to bash on Butte, but it’s definitely not there right now.”  Not to say that there’s not lots of heavenly messengers and servants there, because I know there are, there’s powerful work there, powerful experiences to be had in Butte, but definitely not quite Zion yet.   So that was just kindof a funny moment I had.   He’s like, “The only way to turn west is you have to take an exit. You have to turn around.  Make a u-turn.  You have to go back the way you came.  Head down the right way.   There’s no alternate path, “maybe I can take this dirt road…” or do this… you have to go the straight and narrow way.   I’m like, “that’s a really good analogy.  I like that.”

Reading the Book of Mormon has been awesome lately.    It’s just really been one of those fruitful times.  I’m reading about Ammon, and the Sons of Mosiah, and Alma the Younger, and all these people, and I’m just like, “These guys are studs.”  But it’s more than that, like small verses will just stick out to me. I’m like, “Oh!  I love this!” Yeah.  The Book of Mormon is great.

Let’s see… the Bowmans are a recent convert family that we’ve been teaching.  I don’t know if I’ve said this, they have over forty rabbits.  Like they keep them in cages outside and they show them in this giant shed thing, but they have over forty rabbits.  And I’m like “Holy Cow.”  They all have a name, her group is nationally recognized, Emma, she’s 18 and they’re called The Nerd Herd cause they all have nerdy names.  She did just buy a rabbit from someone who names all her rabbits after heavy metal bands and so she has a rabbit called Metallica now.  And I’m like “Oh my goodness, what?” So that’s kind of a fun new part of the world I’ve never heard of before.  We’ve been having fun teaching the Bowmans, they’ve been struggling a bit reading, but they’re doing good.   I had fun with them last night.  We usually teach them every Sunday night.




Phil.  Oh, Phil is this less active who for the last couple of months has been trying to change his life around completely. You know from running with the devil to coming back.  He knows the church is true.  He knows that Jesus Christ is there lifting him up.  It’s been amazing to watch this and help him out.  We haven’t been visiting him too much lately and he gave us a call, and he’s like “Hey, I’m really struggling and I need you guys to come”  and we’re like, “okay.”  So we set a time and came by and he had just broke up with his girlfriend of two and a half years.  The girlfriend doesn’t want to get married, he’s been asking her for ages, because her deceased husband was a member of the military and died out in the service, it was his career, and if she were to re-marry she would lose the really nice military pension that she gets. So she’s not re-married and he’s like “I’ve let this woman take away really coming back because obviously we’re not married.”  But it’s really hard for him.  So we wanted to strengthen him and help him draw closer, and so we decided to fast, and had an amazing fasting experience this weekend with him.  We’re having dinner with him, or hopefully even just meeting with him on Tuesday, and we’re going to hear a bit more of his experience fasting.   We haven’t really met with him too much yet. So, I’m excited for that.   This is truly the Lords work.  I love doing missionary work.

Okay, another funny thing.  Lactaid free milk. Most glorious thing ever. I found this brand, Dairy Gold, where basically they take milk and they add in enzymes that break down lactaid, or they break down lac…tose? I think that’s what it’s called. Yeah, not lactaid.  Basically they added in lactaid to it, so it’s lactose free milk, and they add in the enzymes that are required to break it down, and so it pretty much tastes just like regular milk. Because it is.  A little sweeter, but it’s milk, and it also lasts like a month, month and a half. Like the expiration date on it is awesome.  I’m looking at this like “Holy crap.”   We had dinner with someone who is way more than me had to be lactose free, and she had this and my companion hasn’t tried any, he’s from Florida, lives out in the country, drinks milk all the time, goes through a gallon or two a week.  Not quite like a gallon a day, but… we got him to try it last night and like everyone else at the table and it was funny.  He had it in this fancy glass and he’s swirling it around… smells it… “good texture, good texture.  Very sweet, good year.” ( Laughs.)  

He’s also been having some knee problems, poor guy.  So we’ve both been taking ibuprofen and using glorious horse liniment gel and having fun with that.  I’m like, “yep.  We’re gimps.  It’s great.” Also, so we’ve been cleaning out our apartment, and we came across this…  as we’re going through stuff, I’m like “what is this?” and I pull out  his giant manual thing and it’s like 2006, so it’s a little old, but it’s a ‘Gun Values Manual’.  I mean, the thing is huuuuge.  Does it have page numbers?  Yeah, like 700 pages, giant, “Fully Revised!  Over 7800 guns! 3500 photos! For modern arms, 1900 to present. Twelfth edition.”  I’m just like, “Oh my goodness. Some missionary really, really had fun here.” I did sit down and look through it, so yes, there was that.  It’s just gun values, can’t learn anything with this, thanks.  But I just thought that was kind of funny.  Of all things to come across.  We also found a sleeping bag, several air mattresses, we clearly absorbed another whole apartment when they closed down one of the Stevensville areas.   The missionaries were living above a bar, it wasn’t the best situation.  But we absorbed all their stuff, so we have like a random box spring, some really run down furniture, we’ll be getting some new ones soon.  We don’t even have a trash can, we just have a big trash bag.  But then we have this whole corner that’s like “The old apartment stuff”.  And I’m like, “Oh, I’m kind of glad I didn’t live in that apartment.”  But yeah, that’s that.  

And also we were in Napa the other day getting new windshield wipers and corrosion cleaned off our battery, we could have done it ourselves, but the church has an account there and it’s easier, and saves us some time.  It’s just baking soda I believe that you just pour on the corrosion on the corrosion on the battery, scrub it with a toothbrush, wash it off with water, and you’re good to go.  But we just took it in.  We needed new windshield wipers anyway.  And what they charged us, it was ridiculous.  I’m never taking in a car back home.  Like they charged us at least $6 to install the wiper blades themselves.  I’m like, “we didn’t want you to install them…”  it was… yeah.  Anyways, as we walk in, they have this just Sale sign, no, wait, that wasn’t at Napa, that was Tire-Rama we went to to get all of that done.  Why did we go to Napa? That’s right because our check engine light came on, and we needed them to scan it and get the error code.  My companion is like “Gosh Darnit!  I need them to send me mine from home.”  And I’m like “Of course you have one, because you’re a stud.”  But so we walk in and they have this giant Bluetooth rugged speaker, it looks like a miniature boom box practically, waterproof, all these things, but it was $30, and my companion just looks at it, and grabs it.  “Dibs!” Slams it down on the counter, “I got this!” And it’s amazing, holy cow.  We teach several people who can’t always hear what we have, so it’s going to be really good for him on his mission.  I mean, it’s awesome. We played it throughout the whole house… I’m like, “ This is sick.” So that was kind of fun.

That’s about all I immediately had for now.  Oh, crap, 21 minutes. Love you! Hope you all have a wonderful day, bye! 

No comments:

Post a Comment