Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Saturday, February 13, 2016

A Farsee - As far as you can see.

Good Evening Everyone!

Sorry that you had to wait to hear from me via snail mail, it definitely won't happen again.  Mum's probably ready to throttle me :) (I don't know why he's started referring to me as "mum" but that's Nick for you.)  But other than that, Life has been pretty Good!  Let me think where to start, let's do Highs and Lows.

High:  Well for one thing, I was told by a less active that we are working with that I had amazing handwriting!  While I know that this letter is proof that's not true, It was still kind of a funny moment :).  But Honestly my high was probably signing off on a "You Stopped Smoking!" Certificate.  I got to present it to a lady that we have been working with for awhile who really wants to go to the temple.  It's so awesome to see people make changes in their lives and better themselves!  #SoGratefulfortheAtonement! #Isthathowhashtagswork? #GreatScott! I think I've done it!  #Finally figured it out last year as a teenager!

Low: Black Ice.  Hands down, Black Ice.  It is totally of the Devil and I am certain Hell is full of it! I swear, one moment you are driving totally fine, the next you are fighting your car just to go straight!  I am so thankful that God is ever so mindful :)  Also apparently one thing you should never do when sliding is slam on the brakes and also pull the emergency brake.  Apparently traction is a thing or Something :) Moral of the story is that's how cars end up in Giant 6 ft deep snow drifts that take 4 missionaries, 2 nice people, a truck, and a whole lot of shoveling to get out of :).

Let's see, what else; oh, mum asked for a health update.  So Elder Guthrie is doing much better!  He is almost off of the crutches and, hopefully, has an appointment with the doctor this week :) I'm also doing quite fine.  Still licking my wounds a bit from being raked over the coals by Sister Wadsworth, my mission president's wife.  Once she found out about my knee and that I lied telling them that it was fine earlier I got quite the lecture.  Never the less I think I've learned my lesson :).

Oh! Story! So get this, there is this family that we have been wanting to contact for about 2 months now, and unfortunately have not been able to due to the fact that they live clear above Walkerville (way up on the mountain) and that's too much snow for our poor Corolla to handle.  However thankfully, a lot of it has just melted and they finally plowed the road so me  and my companion decided to brave it.  Well after a quick glance at a map we quickly realized that their street was no where to be found.  However after a quick chat with our Bishop, he thankfully told us how to get there using Farsees.  Seriously if I remember right, it was about 4 1/2 Farsees North, then take a left at the first Y, after that you take the 3rd Right, and then drive up another 9 3/4 Farsees!  It was crazy!  While we were unable to find them after about 1 1/2 hours of driving, we at least got to enjoy a very nice mountain drive :)

So this week I also got to have kind of a cool experience.  I was really struggling trying to plan out the next District Meeting earlier this week when my wonderful companion reminded me that in the last 30 minutes I had yet to pray and ask Heavenly Father what to do.  No sooner had I began the prayer and started to ask for help, then I got the perfect idea for a District meeting.  It was centered on Hope and how since this is God's work he can not fail.  Apparently this is much needed since I have already had several missionaries in my district come to me and ask for help.  I am so thankful for a Loving Heavenly Father who truly does help us in times of need and truly does answer all of our prayers!

Oh, that's right, I should probably talk about missionary work :)  While this has been a bit of a slow week, we got to make a lot of progress with our investigator Lloyd!  He is so amazing!  Even though he has trouble reading, he asks his loving wife to read the scriptures to him and his son every night!  He is so excited to be baptized and take upon himself the name of Christ.  The coolest part was that a few days ago we taught him the word of wisdom and in his own words, "Ya! I'll totally give that all up!  I didn't even like the taste of coffee anyway!"  True to his word, he has not smoked or drank anything since!  He has so much faith in the guidance of prophets today it is amazing to see!  I swear I learn way more from those that I teach than they do from me :).

Other than Lloyd, that's about it.  Most of our lessons canceled on us this week so we have mostly just been contacting former investigators that we found in the area book and old less actives.  While most of them showed us their expansive vocabulary of four-lettered words, there were a few that we found that were glad that we contacted them!  It totally rocked!

Um, let's see, thankfully Sunday (Superbowl Sunday) wasn't as hard as we were worried it might be.  We had several lessons after church, all of them were with people who didn't have cable :) Honestly though, that's about it for this week :)

Also, I've decided that I really like writing letters more than emailing, I just wish they were just as fast :).  Oh well....

Also!  If you could all possibly keep an Elder Patterson in your prayers, he is really struggling and just needs lots of love and care.

Seriously, thank you all so much for all that you do.  I am so thankful for the people in my life who have helped me to be who I am today, whether they be teachers like Flo, Gingerbeard, Dr K, Coach Dwyer, just to name a few, or family and friends, and members of the ward.  I am so thankful for you all.  I love you All!

Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
-Elder Berrett

PS- Got an MRI scheduled for Saturday Morning

And an excerpt from a letter Dani shared with me-

*I mentioned that this month is the 6-month mark for him*
"I did notice that! It's crazy! Let me tell you, it totally doesn't feel like six months, maybe a month at that. In fact just about everything on a mission feels like a time warp. Seriously! I can't even begin to imagine what the last 6 months of my mission will feel like, they say it just gets faster and faster. 

Oh! I just did a sports thing! I won extreme dodge ball against my district! Oh and now I just lost. :)"

No comments:

Post a Comment