Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Visit to the ER

Nick's p-day ends at 5:00 and at 4:50 this was the only email I received -

Sorry I haven't said too much. At hospital and can't talk. More to follow

Seriously.  That was it. I wanted to reach into the computer and shake him.  So I immediately responded - "ARE YOU OKAY???" 

Fortunately he responded back after a few minutes -

Yes. My poor companion broke something on his leg/ankle and I had to rush him over here. Sorry I meant to say that I was ok. :) love you! 

I thought that was going to be all I got for the week, at least I knew he was okay, (I had visions of him sliding out of control in his car and being seriously hurt, but obviously not hurt bad enough to be able to email me a one line message) but thankfully found this in my inbox this morning- 

Hey everyone!

Sorry I haven't said too much today, I've been at the ER with Elder Guthrie and just got some time now. Poor guy :/ he broke something playing pod-ball, we aren't sure what yet but it was a loud crack that we all heard so there's that. :/

So update: I'm now writing this at around 7:30 tonight. We just got off the phone with president and we came up with a game plan of where to proceed from here. Elder Guthrie apparently tore some ligaments, enough that the doctor said he will probably be referred to an orthopedic surgeon. Poor guy :/ at least he's got a loving companion with him :) We are on bed rest for a couple of days but I'll find ways to entertain him :)

This week has been quite the crazy adventure. Let's start at the beginning I guess :) (also please forgive, I don't have my journal on me now.)

So this week started out with my first District meeting! It was absolutely Fantastic! The spirit was so strong! It was on goal setting and how to keep ourselves accountable to them. It rocked!

After district meeting I had the amazing opportunity to go on an exchange in deer lodge, which is amazing! Not only do they get free food at this awesome BBQ place but I got to put a whole family on date for baptism! They have to get married first and are getting married on the 20th. Of Feb. and instead of waiting 3-4 months like they were thinking we invited them to be Baptized on  their wedding dat (only since its at the church already and the bishop is marrying them :)) So that was awesome! They really liked that idea and wondered why they had not thought of that earlier! Their love for the Gospel is amazing and I am so excited to interview them in a few weeks!

This week was a little slow lesson wise, we had a ton cancel on us, but hey, that's missionary work! We did have a couple of little fun things happen though! We met one man named Lloyd (yes seriously, I was dying! Spelled exactly like Lloyd the auditorium Ghost back home) who is married to a less active member. We have only taught them really once, but the whole lesson was amazing! The best part was that at the end, he asked us if he could be baptized! I was so thankful! It's wonderful moments like that that really make up for the other times.  Like the fact that our wonderful old lady Jean totally dropped us this week. She said that she knew that the gospel was true, she was just too old to change. I understand that everyone has their agency, it's just still sad. :/

One funny thing happened though! While my companion and I were contacting some less-active people in Silver Bow homes (A lower income housing area) one (Extremely) drunk guy came running up to us and started practically confessing his sins to us! It was crazy! My companion and I were so shocked we weren't really sure how to proceed at first but we finally were able to explain to him that we really aren't the people that he should be talking to about that. We asked if he would want us to come by sometime and talk to him some more about the repentance process and about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but he said he was good. He did leave us with some great parting advice to "Try to not get crucified" though! I felt bad but it was definitely a much needed laugh. :)

Sorry for the late email, but it's been crazy with the ER and prescriptions and being on the phone with President and Sister Wadsworth forever. Thankfully president gave us permission to quickly write these. :) also, as a bright side, I'll have a bit more time to write letters these next few days! Also I'm trying to finish the New Testament again so perhaps I can get that done too!

I love you all and am so thankful for the work!

Never give up, Never Surrender!

-Elder Berrett

No comments:

Post a Comment