Elder Nicholas Berrett is currently serving in the Billings Montana mission (serving most of Montana and a good portion of Wyoming) for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is excited to serve the Lord and the people of Montana and Wyoming for the next two years!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Ten Sleep part 2

Good morning everyone!

This week was another crazy week down here in the Greybull/Basin area!

To start off, this week, we got invited this last Monday by some recent converts of ours, the Frames, to go and play volleyball with them! Apparently someone there was interested in the gospel so the last elders that were here were playing trying to get to know them, and had a lesson set up but then transfers happened. Anyways, while they didn't show up, we met some other people who might be interested! But ya, me. Volleyball. No coordination.  It was interesting. :) The funny thing is my companion took off for the other team, the one with the Frames and a few older players. And he put me on the team with a bunch of young girls. Unfortunately they weren't exactly the best players.
And they were way better than me, so it was really funny. My team and I just spent the entire time laughing or telling me that apparently you can't do certain things in volleyball, like kick it. :) Anyways ya! It was fun!

Tuesday was service almost all day, it was awesome!

Wednesday we spent most of it in Lovell with the Elders there because Elder Ison needed to go to the doctor for the pain in his back. Man I have bad knees, he's got a bad back, we bring a whole new meaning to the term "elders" :).

Thursday we actually had quite a lot of lessons with less-actives who seem to now finally be progressing! It's so awesome! We have one in particular Frank, who is basically struggling with the idea of Faith.  He thinks about everything logically and has to prove everything to himself. Our next lesson will probably be reading Alma 32 and challenging him to pray. Honestly it's amazing what miracles happen when people sit down, read the scriptures, and pray. When people do that, all of the miracles happen in their lives :)

On Friday we got to go out with Bro. Cheatham and go and do service for a less-active named Boyd. He had a giant pivot (a giant water sprinkler thing with wheels) break down on his farm so we got to go out here and help him get it unstuck. It was actually a ton of fun and my companion even got to talk with him a lot so hopefully we now have a solid connection. :) Also on Friday we also met a new family that we will hopefully be teaching tomorrow! They live right next door to some members and the members told us to basically just leave a Book of Mormon on her doorstep and see if she is interested. Well thankfully she was outside when we went over so we got to meet her and her kids and discuss the gospel a little bit!

Saturday. Now here's where it gets interesting :)

Saturday morning we went and did some service for a less-active in our ward, sister Shepard. She has a ton of old dead trees in her front yard that we got to help cut down! It was awesome! Tons of hard work though because we weren't allowed to use any power tools so we both just went to town using saws and actually did quite a ton of work! Eventually another less-active family (who is friends with her) came over with a chainsaw and helped us take down some of the bigger stuff, we just had to climb up, tie a rope to it, and pull the rope in the direction that we wanted em to fall. The best part was that not only did we really help her out and get that all taken care of for her, but she even came to church the next day! Even after she told my companion that she might not because of how exhausted she was! It was seriously an awesome miracle!

Also Saturday we finally headed back out to Ten-Sleep! Unfortunately we weren't able to get too much done Saturday night, our lesson with that new investigator over there fell through, :/ so we decided to go tracting. Eventually, just as it was getting close to 9:00 and we were heading back to our car, we knocked into some members. Now real quick funny side story. Originally the plan was that the Ten-Sleep bishop was going to arrange with some members to house had for the night while we were up there. Well we unfortunately we never able to get a hold of him (there was a minor family emergency that may or may not have involved hitch hiking, thankfully everyone is safe and ok) so we decided that we would just camp out at the church! We figured a couple of couches, plus a giant supply of living scriptures videos. We were set. :) Thankfully however the member that we ran into found out about our plan, and got some housing arranged for us. We stayed in this amazing ranch house in the attic. No joke the attic totally reminded me of Mary Poppins. At least the layout of the bedroom did.  It was awesome! Possibly one of the best parts though was waking up to a sunrise over a giant grassy field with Red mountains in the background. I was in paradise. It was gorgeous!

But ya, that was about our week! Oh! I almost forgot! On Sunday we had another awesome lesson with Bro. Ledford! Following up with him he read a ton of his scriptures this week and was definitely excited to get back into them in our lesson. While unfortunately it didn't sound like he was going to be making it to church the next few weeks, he said that One of these weeks he would make it. He will get re-activated one of these days I know it!

But ya, that's about it, now all I have to do is convince my family to all move down here so I can still be close to them after my mission :). I love it here!  I just can't get over it! First off the people are definitely amazing here, sometimes the less-actives drive me a little crazy, but everyone here is really honest and kind :).  Also it is gorgeous down here. Green mixed with red rock everywhere. Especially around Ten Sleep this entire county is just gorgeous. 

Oh! Did I tell you some awesome news? Bro. Cheatham, the member that we are living with, just told me that when I come back, he will teach me how to Fly! I've been secretly hoping that it would be a possibility since especially he is an awesome flight instructor (his wife likes to brag about him even if he doesn't like it) :) he even has a little special thing on his flight instructor license that apparently only 5% of people have or something like that. But ya. :) I can totally learn how to fly post mission if I want to. :) 
 
This week I have been studying a ton on humility and on repentance.  Concerning humility, I love Preach My Gospel. Oddly while studying it this week, I found that this was a section that I honestly hasn't read too much up on. :/ It was awesome! In  Preach My Gospel it referenced Ether 12:27 and I think this is one that I've talked about before recently but studying it with the question in mind "How can I be more humble?"  It was amazing! I am so thankful that we all have a loving Heavenly Father who KNOWS that we have weaknesses, that we make mistakes. That's why he provided his son, and because of Jesus Christ, we can use the repentance process to truly change ourselves. To become better disciples and sons and daughters of God. Brothers and sisters I KNOW that as we humbly ask our father in prayer how we can improve, and what our next step is, he will guide us to it and then HELP us change and accomplish it.

I love you All!

Never give up, Never Surrender!

-Elder Berrett

No comments:

Post a Comment